Managing an estate is a complex and time-consuming responsibility. The person responsible for managing a deceased person’s estate is the executor of the estate, and they are named in the decedent’s will. This role requires them to oversee the will, distribute assets, and guide the estate through the probate process. This person is known as the personal representative in Florida, but the responsibilities are equal. Fortunately, personal representatives can receive the guidance they need from the experienced staff at The Millman Law Group. Aaron D. Millman, Esq., CPA, founded The Millman Law Group to provide high-quality estate planning and legal services. We know every estate is unique, so we work hard to ensure every client excels as an executor. If you are named executor of an estate in Highland Beach, FL, contact The Millman Law Group today for help managing these duties.
The Responsibilities of Estate Executors
The executor of an estate in Highland Beach is responsible for carrying out all terms of a will. This means they guide an estate through probate and manage the deceased’s assets. A personal representative is listed in the will and can refuse the role. However, once you accept the position, you have a legal duty to follow the terms outlined in the will. An executor has many duties, including the following:
- Filing the will
- Distributing assets to beneficiaries
- Guiding the estate through probate
- Opening a bank account to pay for any probate expenses
- Paying debts and taxes and potentially filing a tax return for the deceased
- Locating and managing estate taxes
- Notifying beneficiaries, guardians, relatives, creditors, banks, the SSA, Medicare, USPS, and the Department of Veterans Affairs of the will
The Benefits of Working with an Estate Planning Lawyer
An executor of an estate in Highland Beach must work with an estate planning lawyer as they perform their duties. Your attorney will help you manage your responsibilities and avoid disastrous errors. Your attorney is here to guide you through the technical and procedural steps of the process and advise you on tax filings. Besides saving you time and money, your lawyer can:
- Draft necessary legal documents
- File the executors’ reports with the court.
- Suggest experts when needed.
- Determine what tax returns are needed.
- Provide advice on tax consequences.
- Keep the executor informed of deadlines and requirements.
- Ensure the estate is closed correctly, debts are paid, assets are distributed, and tax returns are filed.
At The Millman Law Group, we can schedule a free initial consultation to help you decide whether we are the right attorneys to help you. Call us today to learn more about how you can be an effective personal representative in Highland Beach.
Are You an Executor of Estate in Highland Beach, FL? Contact The Millman Law Group For Assistance
Millman Law Group, PLLC is one of the only law firms that offers life planning in South Florida. From life care planning to the preparation of detailed estate plans, Millman Law Group has committed to serving Floridian elderly communities in Boca Raton, Palm Beach County, Ocean Ridge, Hillsboro Beach, and many other areas since 2018. Our dedicated team specializes in special needs trusts and catering to any age demographic because we know that it’s never too early to start preparing for your future. For the latest news in estate planning and elder care law, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. You can also contact us at 561-463-6480.