Managing a person’s estate is a time-consuming and sometimes challenging responsibility. The executor of an estate is someone named in the will who is responsible for overseeing the deceased person’s will, distributing assets, and guiding the estate through probate. In Florida, this person is also known as the personal representative, but the responsibilities are the same. Fortunately, personal representatives can receive help in their role from the estate planning lawyers at The Millman Law Group. Aaron D. Millman, Esq., CPA, created The Millman Law Group to provide the knowledgeable services people need when planning their estate. We know that the details of every estate are unique, so we work hard to help our clients understand their role as executor. If you are named executor of an estate in Broward county, contact The Millman Law Group for help managing your duties.
The Role of Estate Executors
The executor of an estate in Broward County is responsible for carrying out all terms of a will. This means they guide an estate through probate and care for the deceased person’s assets. A personal representative is listed in the will and has the option to turn down the role. However, once you accept the job, you have a legal duty to follow the terms of the will. An executor has many duties, including:
- Guiding the estate through probate
- Filing the will
- Opening a bank account to pay for any probate expenses
- Locating and managing assets
- Distributing assets to all beneficiaries
- Notifying beneficiaries, relatives, guardians, banks, creditors, Medicare, the SSA, the USPS, and the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Paying debts and taxes and potentially filing a tax return for the decedent
Why Should You Work with an Estate Lawyer?
An executor of an estate in Broward County needs to work with an estate lawyer during this complex process. Your lawyer will help you manage your responsibilities and avoid making disastrous errors. Your estate attorney can guide you through the technical and procedural aspects of the process and advise on any necessary tax filings. Beyond helping you save time and money, your lawyer can:
- Draft necessary legal documents
- Determine what tax returns are needed
- Suggest experts when necessary
- Keep you informed of deadlines and requirements.
- File the executors’ reports with the court
- Provide advice on tax consequences
- Ensure that the estate is properly closed and that all debts are paid, assets distributed, and tax returns filed.
At The Millman Law Group, we provide a free consultation to help you decide whether we are the right group to help you. Contact us to learn more about how to be an effective personal representative in Broward County.
Are You an Executor of Estate in Broward County? Contact The Millman Law Group For Assistance
Millman Law Group, PLLC is one of the only law firms that offers life planning in South Florida. From life care planning to the preparation of detailed estate plans, Millman Law Group has committed to serving Floridian elderly communities in Boca Raton, Palm Beach County, Ocean Ridge, Hillsboro Beach, and many other areas since 2018. Our dedicated team specializes in special needs trusts and catering to any age demographic because we know that it’s never too early to start preparing for your future. For the latest news in estate planning and elder care law, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. You can also contact us at 561-463-6480.